No Brag, Just Fact!
Over the last decade, we set out to be the world's greatest dialysis company, and over the next decade, we're poised to build the greatest healthcare community the world has ever seen. When you join the DaVita Village, you're joining a winning team. Through our commitment to training, growth and quality, we consistently achieve superior clinical outcomes while giving teammates the opportunity to excel in an award-winning
environment that enables them to thrive both professionally and personally.
The DaVita in-house legal team is known as the “Justice League.” The Justice League is comprised of over 200 attorneys, paralegals, and professionals in countries around the globe. The Justice League values diversity, support and respect for each other, analytical rigor, commitment to professional development, and a passion for excellence.
- Reports to the VP, Associate General Counsel Commercial Contracting and Legal Operations
- Position is a based at DaVita’s Headquarters in Denver, Colorado
- Lead legal support for commercial contracting, drafting and negotiating a high volume and broad range of commercial agreements, including purchasing, outsourcing, services, marketing, telecommunications, software licensing, SaaS, data licensing, and consulting agreements.
- Drive risk mitigation and negotiation strategies for key supplier relationships. Maintain a deep understanding of the business, advising senior management on legal risks and assisting in development of creative solutions as a member of the team, not solely as the legal advisor.
- Continuous improvement of contracting processes, including creation and/or improvement of toolkits and templates in order to reduce deal cycle times and refine standard contract term.
- Provide legal advice and counsel on a diverse range of issues arising in the launch of new products, services, and campaigns.
- Participate in projects to drive the adoption of contract automation technologies.
- Work collaboratively with a broad range of people to develop and maintain strong working relationships between legal, finance, people services, operations and business development teams and facilitate a team based approach.
- Juggle and successfully prioritize competing work streams.
- Understand and be able to translate into “plain English” the legal ramifications of varied legal issues (including regulatory requirements) and clearly and succinctly articulate the risks. Provide valuable advice and counsel within the context of the broader business and enterprise level objectives. Quarterback and drive process to achieve thoughtful, successful and timely results
- Provide legal support for significant vendor disputes
- Lead special projects or initiatives as assigned by the Associate General Counsel.
- Assist lane lead with budget preparation, budget management, setting team goals, and planning for future support needs.
- Coordinate with other legal groups on regulatory, risk, compliance and operational issues.
- Manage outside counsel, including leading fee negotiations and developing and managing budget.
- Live, uphold and model DaVita’s core values of Service Excellence, Integrity, Team, Continuous Improvement, Accountability, Fulfillment and Fun with the ability to demonstrate those positively and proactively in daily performance and communication.
Here is what you can expect when you join our Village:
- A "community first, company second" culture based on Core Values that really matter.
- Clinical outcomes consistently ranked above the national average.
- Award-winning education and training across multiple career paths to help you reach your potential.
- Performance-based rewards based on stellar individual and team contributions.
- A comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance your health, your financial well-being and your future.
- Dedication, above all, to caring for patients suffering from chronic kidney failure across the nation.
Education, licenses, certifications, and experience required to fulfill the essential duties, include computer skills as required.
- J.D. Degree with minimum 6 years legal experience
- State Bar Admission and good standing
- Successful track record of at least six years of commercial contracting experience, including substantial “first chair” experience.
- Experience drafting and negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts, including purchasing, telecommunications, services, outsourcing, marketing, software licensing, SaaS, data licensing, and consulting agreements.
- The ideal candidate has a combination of law firm and in-house experience. However, exclusively law firm-trained candidates will be considered with diverse substantive and sophisticated contracting experience.
- Experience in positively and successfully managing relationships with a high energy, diverse group of senior executives across organizational lines. A thoughtful, articulate and effective communicator who can distill and articulate the important aspects of any transactional issue to a wide audience of participants.
- Experience in the healthcare industry and healthcare transactions (or other highly regulated industry) is highly desired.
- Demonstrated business acumen, including the ability to see the "big picture" as well as the relationship of very detailed and specific business issues.
- High degree of organization and efficiency with demonstrated attention to detail.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills (including presentations).
- Excellent vendor contract negotiation and contract management skills
- Knowledge of healthcare regulatory, data privacy, and security requirements necessary for DaVita’s commercial and vendor contracts.
- Experience negotiating cross-border commercial contracts or global purchasing/services agreements. Experience in mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures and other complex commercial transactions is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a strong member of a highly-motivated team.
- Superior written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with an acute ability to listen attentively and to communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization.
- Professional demeanor and ability to interact at executive level with persuasiveness and confidence.
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills and ability to be “other-oriented”; ability to appreciate people with different backgrounds and points of view and create an inclusive environment
- Personal integrity, judgment and the ability to make decisions quickly.
- Adaptable, comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity; accustomed to charting own/new course.
- Hands on, efficient and proven ability to “Get [a lot of] Stuff Done” with a bias for action and strong sense of ownership.
- A commitment to personal and professional growth.
- Candid and personally secure. Ability and willingness to seek and receive feedback constructively as development opportunities.
- Ability to work independently, shift focus, adapt to changing priorities, maintain patience in high pressure situations and take initiative where appropriate.
- A bright individual who is a “quick study” and grasps issues quickly. Not hindered by an overly bureaucratic and structured approach to solving problems.
- Possesses good stamina and humor; able to work well under pressure in a fast moving, dynamic company.
- The maturity and flexibility to work effectively with senior management, subordinates and operations personnel.
- Commitment to DaVita’s core values of Service Excellence, Integrity, Team, Continuous Improvement, Accountability, Fulfillment and Fun with ability to demonstrate those positively and proactively in daily performance and communication.
Join us as we pursue our vision "To Build the Greatest Healthcare Community the World has Ever Seen."
Why wait? Explore a career with DaVita today.
Go to http://careers.davita.com to learn more or apply.
To learn more about our Village and the world of dialysis, click here.
Follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing and background verification checks.