Corporate Counsel - Operations
Operational attorney for key operating groups and regions of DaVita
No Brag, Just Fact!
Over the last decade, we set out to be the world's greatest dialysis company, and over the next decade, we're poised to build the greatest healthcare community the world has ever seen. When you join the DaVita Village, you're joining a winning team. Through our commitment to training, growth and quality, we consistently achieve superior clinical outcomes while giving teammates the opportunity to excel in an award-winning environment that enables them to thrive both professionally and personally.
The DaVita in-house legal team is known as the “Justice League.” The Justice League is comprised of over 200 attorneys, paralegals, and professionals in countries around the globe. The Justice League values diversity, support and respect for each other, analytical rigor, commitment to professional development, and a passion for excellence.
Primary role of the Corporate Counsel is to serve as a supporting lawyer to assist in all aspects of the operations of key operating groups and regions of DaVita’s dialysis operations. The Corporate Counsel will provide advice, guidance and strategic counsel to management and the field on a wide variety of legal issues which arise from the day-to-day operations of a growing, complex organization operating in a heavily-regulated environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as operational attorney for key operating groups and regions of DaVita. In coordination with the Group General Counsel, provide advice and counsel to business leads on a wide variety of corporate and commercial issues arising in day-to-day operations of a complex organization in a heavily-regulated environment.
- Provide legal counsel on a variety of health-care business, corporate and commercial matters.
- Structure, negotiate and provide legal oversight for business transactions.
- Draft, review, analyze and negotiate contracts, agreements, memoranda and other legal documents to which the company intends to become a party, including, but not limited to, Medical Director Agreements, Leases, and Hospital Services Agreements.
- Resolve business and lease disputes, and, if necessary, assist in the management of litigation.
- Develop a thorough understanding of and familiarity with the Company's business, its people, markets, facilities, customers and competitors in order to identify trends and formulate appropriate legal advice, structures and strategies.
- Establish a rapport and working relationship with business managers in order to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- Perform special assignments as needed.
- Support and collaborate with other areas of the JLD and compliance, as needed.
- Assist in process improvement and establishment of best demonstrated practices for all aspects of legal operations.
Here is what you can expect when you join our Village:
- A "community first, company second" culture based on Core Values that really matter.
- Clinical outcomes consistently ranked above the national average.
- Award-winning education and training across multiple career paths to help you reach your potential.
- Performance-based rewards based on stellar individual and team contributions.
- A comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance your health, your financial well-being and your future.
- Dedication, above all, to caring for patients suffering from chronic kidney failure across the nation.
- J.D. degree and a minimum of five years of legal experience in a mix of operations, corporate law and health care law; state bar passage and good standing.
- Candidates must possess in-house and/or law firm experience representing business clients.
- General understanding of relevant health care compliance issues (i.e., Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark, HIPAA).
- Understanding of Medicare certification, provider conditions and state licensing matters is a plus.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Unquestioned integrity
- Assertive and a self-starter
- Maturity and personal self-confidence
- Strong interpersonal skills including a strong sense of team
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- A keen understanding of business and commerce, and the ability to diagnose legal problems and present positive, creative solutions and alternatives for management
- The ability to effectively manage relationships with outside counsel to maximize the quality of representation and remain within budget
- A bright individual who is a “quick study” and grasps issues quickly
- Possession of good stamina and humor
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast moving, dynamic company
- The maturity and flexibility to work effectively with senior management, subordinates and operations personnel
- The interpersonal skills to be a value add team participant with legal background rather than just the lawyer to the team
Join us as we pursue our vision "To Build the Greatest Healthcare Community the World has Ever Seen."
Why wait? Explore a career with DaVita today.
Go to http://careers.davita.com to learn more or apply.
is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. As such, DaVita
makes hiring decisions solely on the basis of qualifications and experience,
and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual
orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing and background verification checks.