DaVita Inc., a Fortune 500® company, is the parent company of DaVita Kidney Care. DaVita Kidney Care is a leading provider of kidney care in the United States, delivering dialysis services to patients with chronic kidney failure and end stage renal disease. DaVita Kidney Care consistently differentiates itself from other kidney care companies and surpasses national averages for clinical outcomes. The company's clinical outcomes for dialysis have improved for the past decade, and in many key areas measuring quality dialysis care, we lead the nation. As of September 30, 2016, DaVita Kidney Care operated or provided administrative services at 2,318 outpatient dialysis centers located in the United States serving approximately 199,000 patients. The company also operated 139 outpatient dialysis centers located in 11 countries outside the United States.
DaVita’s well-regarded law department counsels all aspects of the company and provides legal support for all of the company’s transactions. The attorneys are integral strategic business partners that work closely with each other and senior management on a daily basis.
This position will be based in either of the following locations: DaVita’s World Headquarters in Denver, Colorado or our corporate business office in El Segundo, California.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The person in this position will be responsible for providing advice and guidance on a wide variety of labor and employment issues that arise from the day-to-day operations of a growing, complex public company operating in a heavily regulated environment. This position will also be responsible for managing employment-related litigation, including agency complaints. He/she will be part of a team that focuses on creating new strategies to support our teammates and drive efficiencies while ensuring that DaVita leads the way in being the Partner and Employer of Choice.
The following duties and responsibilities generally reflect the expectations of this position but are not intended to be all inclusive.
- Providing guidance to the Company, Senior Executives, and the Company’s People Services team on the full gamut of employment, human resource and labor matters, including all policies and procedures.
- Overseeing labor and employment litigation where DaVita is a party, including managing costs to ensure effective use of resources.
- Investigating or overseeing the investigation of complaints by teammates (employees) concerned violations of company policy or related issues.
- Providing training to the Company’s People Services team and/or managers on labor and employment legal issues.
- Advising senior management and DaVita business units on employment compliance and risk management in order to accomplish business objectives without undue risk.
- Keeping the Company’s senior management abreast of significant labor and employment decisions, legislation and regulatory rulings that may affect the Company’s business or policy.
- Developing a thorough understanding of and familiarity with the Company's business, its people, markets, facilities, customers and competitors in order to identify trends and formulate appropriate structures and strategies..
- Drafting, reviewing, analyzing and negotiating employment-related agreements including consulting, severance, incentive, noncompetition and confidentiality agreements.
- Establishing a rapport and working relationship with teammates at all levels in order to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- Performing special assignments or projects.
- Must be able to travel a minimum of 15%.
Here is what you can expect when you join our Village:
- A "community first, company second" culture based on Core Values that really matter.
- Clinical outcomes consistently ranked above the national average.
- Award-winning education and training across multiple career paths to help you reach your potential.
- Performance-based rewards based on stellar individual and team contributions.
- A comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance your health, your financial well-being and your future.
- Dedication, above all, to caring for patients suffering from chronic kidney failure across the nation.
Qualifications and Successful Candidate Characteristics:
- J.D. Degree with minimum 8 years of legal experience
- State bar qualification and good standing
- Law firm experience required; additional in-house experience a plus
- Strong alignment with DaVita’s Mission and Core Values
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Unquestioned integrity and ethics
- Assertive and a self-starter
- Maturity and strong interpersonal skills; one whose counsel and judgment are actively sought
- Keen understanding of business and commerce, the ability to diagnose legal problems, and present positive, creative solutions and alternatives for management
- Bright individual who is a “quick study” and grasps issues quickly. Not hindered by an overly bureaucratic and structured approach to solving problems.
- Possesses good stamina and humor. Able to work well under pressure in a fast moving, dynamic company.
- Maturity and flexibility to work effectively with senior management, subordinates and operations personnel.
- Interpersonal skills to be team participant with legal background rather than just the lawyer to the team.
- Key ability to accomplish tasks of both a recurring nature up to complicated analysis in a high volume, fast-paced environment.
Join us as we pursue our vision "To Build the Greatest Healthcare Community the World has Ever Seen."
Why wait? Explore a career with DaVita today.
Go to http://careers.davita.com to learn more or apply.
To learn more about our Village and the world of dialysis, click here.
Follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn
DaVita is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. As such, DaVita makes hiring decisions solely on the basis of qualifications and experience, and without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing and background verification checks.