This vital, patient-centric role features extensive interaction with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) patients and Kidney Smart Educators across the United States. Its main purpose is to provide insurance and employment education for Chronic Kidney Disease patients, with the objective of enhancing patient quality of life through education and advocacy. The Patient Advocate is a key member of the Kidney Smart-Patient Advocate team and works closely with other DaVita departments such as Kidney Smart Educators, Modality Educators, Field Operations, and the Insurance Management Team – providing excellent visibility and opportunity for career advancement.
The Patient Advocate must have the emotional maturity and professionalism to directly interact with patients and senior leadership, as well as the ability to work successfully with cross-functional DaVita teams. The Patient Advocate will help alleviate stress often associated with navigating complicated insurance coverage options and employment decisions for CKD patients. To be successful, the Patient Advocate must have strong experience in patient communications, an understanding of motivational interviewing and expert knowledge of commercial and government health insurance benefits.
1. Patient Education(75%) - Responsible for pt education while staying within established compliance parameters for the company and program. E.g.:
- Identifies and effectively communicates opportunities to better the insurance status of the patients, alleviating financial risk and burden
- Completes insurance assessments/evaluations for patients
- Advocates on behalf of patient in researching and resolving financial issues and insurance options with employer, insurance company or other applicable entities
- Acts as a liaison between patients, families, caregivers, clinical care team, other educators, and field leadership
- Works closely with supervisor/manager to meet objectives, deadlines, and reporting/measurement requirements as they pertain to patient education and provides high-level of customer service to patients to ensure educational needs are met
2. Meetings(10%) - Participates in team reporting calls as necessary to discuss/vet patient education impacts. Attends team meetings, phone conferences, and trainings as needed.
3. Field Relationships(5%) - Builds and maintains relationships with field leadership (RODs, DVPs, FAs, SWs, Dietitian, Modality and Kidney Smart Educators) to emphasize and integrate education priorities. Partners with Kidney Smart Educators to work with available resources and utilize best practices to grow education awareness and program utilization.
4.Participates in ROPs/Village-wide special projects as needed(5%)
5. Other duties as assigned(5%)
*Possibility of working Saturday once or twice a month on an "as needed" basis.
Here is what you can expect when you join our Village:
- A "community first, company second" culture based on Core Values that really matter.
- Clinical outcomes consistently ranked above the national average.
- Award-winning education and training across multiple career paths to help you reach your potential.
- Performance-based rewards based on stellar individual and team contributions.
- A comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance your health, your financial well-being and your future.
- Dedication, above all, to caring for patients suffering from chronic kidney failure across the nation.
- Experience in healthcare industry/healthcare organization working with a clinical team and patients strongly preferred
- Demonstrate extensive understanding of insurance plans and benefits (PPO, HMO, POS, EPO, Indemnity) preferred
- Demonstrative understanding of COBRA benefit options, medical leave options, American Disabilities Act, and Coordination of Benefits strongly preferred
- Demonstrative understanding of Federal and State level health coverage benefits as they relate to ESRD strongly preferred
- Experience in case management and/or social work
- Fluency in Spanish helpful, but not required
Join us as we pursue our vision "To Build the Greatest Healthcare Community the World has Ever Seen."
Why wait? Explore a career with DaVita today.
Go to http://careers.davita.com to learn more or apply.
WARNING: Job Recruitment Scam Notice
Please note that DaVita Careers has been made aware of a phishing, job recruitment scam in which third parties are fraudulently representing themselves as recruiters of our company. These scammers are posting fake DaVita job openings and communicating with job candidates in an effort to obtain personal information and money. Please follow link to learn more about this scam.
Learn More: http://careers.davita.com/JobRecruitmentScamNotice
DaVita is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. As such, DaVita makes hiring decisions solely on the basis of qualifications and experience, and without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing and background verification checks.
DaVita will consider qualified applicants who have criminal histories in a manner consistent with the law.