No Brag, Just Fact!
Over the last decade, we set out to be the world's greatest dialysis company, and over the next decade, we're poised to build the greatest healthcare community the world has ever seen. Through our commitment to training, mentoring, growth and quality-focused approach, we give teammates the opportunity to excel in an award-winning environment that enables them to thrive both professionally and personally.
The DaVita in-house legal team is known as the “Justice League.” The Justice League is comprised of over 300 attorneys, paralegals, and professionals in countries around the globe. The Justice League values diversity, support and respect for each other, analytical rigor, commitment to professional development, and a passion for excellence.
Primary role of the Assistant General Counsel is to serve as a lead attorney handling the operations aspect of an operating division comprised of ~ 300 dialysis centers located in Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Washington, D.C., and Maryland. The Assistant General Counsel will provide advice, guidance and strategic counsel to senior management and the field on a wide variety of legal issues which arise from the day-to-day operations of a growing, complex organization operating in a heavily-regulated environment.
Here is what you can expect when you join our Village:
- Serve as operational attorney for a key operating group of DaVita. Reporting to a Group General Counsel, this role will provide advice and counsel to business leads on a wide variety of corporate and commercial issues.
- Provide legal counsel on a variety of health-care business, corporate and commercial matters.
- Provide legal oversight for business transactions and aid Group General Counsel on the structure and negotiation of said contracts.
- Draft, review, analyze and negotiate contracts, and other legal documents to which the company intends to become a party, including Medical Director Agreements, Operating Agreements, Leases/Subleases, Agreements ancillary to the dialysis business.
- Resolve business and lease disputes, and, if necessary, assist in the management of litigation.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the Company's business, its people, markets, facilities, customers and competitors in order to provide legal advice, structures and strategies.
- Establish a rapport and working relationship with business managers in order to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- Perform special assignments as needed.
- Support and collaborate with other areas of the JLD and compliance, as needed.
- Assist in process improvement and establishment of best demonstrated practices for all aspects of legal operations.
- Travel is required and the position can be based in Nashville, Tennessee.
- A "community first, company second" culture based on Core Values that really matter.
- Clinical outcomes consistently ranked above the national average.
- Award-winning education and training across multiple career paths to help you reach your potential.
- Performance-based rewards based on stellar individual and team contributions.
- A comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance your health, your financial well-being and your future.
- Dedication, above all, to caring for patients suffering from chronic kidney failure across the nation.
- J.D. degree and a minimum of five years of legal experience in a mix of operations, corporate law and health care law.
- State bar passage and good standing.
- Candidates must possess in-house and/or law firm experience representing business clients.
- General understanding of relevant health care compliance issues (i.e., Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark, HIPAA).
- Understanding of Medicare certification, provider conditions and state licensing matters is a plus.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Exceptional emotional intelligence and relationship-building abilities.
- Unquestioned integrity.
- Assertive and a self-starter.
- Maturity and personal self-confidence including confidence in legal opinions.
- Strong interpersonal skills including a strong sense of team.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- A keen understanding of business and commerce, and the ability to diagnose legal problems and present positive, creative solutions and alternatives for management.
- The ability to effectively manage relationships with outside counsel to maximize the quality of representation and remain within budget.
- A bright individual who is a “quick study” and grasps issues quickly.
- A hard worker but also embraces the Core Value of Fun!
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast moving, dynamic company.
- The maturity and flexibility to work effectively with senior management, subordinates and operations personnel.
- The interpersonal skills to be a value add team participant with legal background rather than just the lawyer to the team.
Join us as we pursue our vision "To Build the Greatest Healthcare Community the World has Ever Seen
Why wait? Explore a career with DaVita today.
Go to http://careers.davita.com to learn more or apply.
To learn more about our Village and the world of dialysis, click here
Follow us on Facebook
Please note that DaVita Careers has been made aware of a phishing, job recruitment scam in which third parties are fraudulently representing themselves as recruiters of our company. These scammers are posting fake DaVita job openings and communicating with job candidates in an effort to obtain personal information and money. Please follow link to learn more about this scam.
DaVita is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. As such, DaVita makes hiring decisions solely on the basis of qualifications and experience, and without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing and background verification checks.
DaVita will consider qualified applicants who have criminal histories in a manner consistent with the law.